Moovit, the leading local transit app in the world, this month celebrates the two-year anniversary of its landmark Community program. Since the program’s inception, Community editors have volunteered their time and energy to map over 100 cities that the company would not otherwise have been able to launch in due to lack of readily available transit data.
Moovit launched the Community program in February 2014 and has since been able to launch in over 100 Community-mapped cities worldwide. With an editor community of more than 30,000 people investing their time in keeping transit information up to date, Moovit is able to bring transit data to many regions and cities that other transit apps are unable to provide service for. Moovit’s Community of editors contributed to over 70% of cities launched in the app.
Community editors use Moovit’s proprietary Editor platform, which allows users to map entire transit systems. Over 121 million people worldwide, that otherwise wouldn’t be served, have access to necessary transit data and can enjoy smoother journeys on public transit thanks to Moovit’s editor Community.
Some landmark city launches highlighting the accomplishments of the Community program include:
- João Pessoa, Brazil: the first-ever Community-mapped city to launch in the app
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA: the first Community-mapped city to launch in the U.S.
- Puebla, Mexico: the 100th Community city to launch in the app; part of a first-of-its-kind Leadership Program with the local university in which the mapping of the city was incorporated into the curriculum of a “Rebuilding Citizenship” course
- Guangzhou, China: the first Chinese Community city to launch, with a population of over 8.5 million
- Eisenach, Germany: one Community editor mapped the entire city and became a Super Editor in just 10 days; the editor continues to perfect and expand the Eisenach transit map with regional buses, extending the service area each day
- Milan, Italy: the local transit agency was” inspired by the work the Community editor was doing in Milan and decided to collaborate with the Moovit Community on the project to bring vital transit data to even more local transit riders
- Briançon, France: Community editor, Yann, had several serious operations and was no longer able to drive. He began taking buses to his regular hospital appointments, but was frustrated by not having access to correct schedules. He joined the Community to empower himself to be able to travel independently on public transit; now he and the rest of the town benefit
- Belfast, Northern Ireland: Moovit launched in Belfast in January, and is the first UK city to be opened to the Community for users to continue adding, editing and perfecting local transit lines in the app
“All of the Community editors are volunteers who dedicate their own time and energy to helping us bring transit data to regions that truly need it,” said Alex Mackenzie Torres, Moovit CMO. “We are deeply grateful for their altruistic spirit and hard work, as they allow us to provide vital information to regions where it’s not readily available to the transit riders who need it most.”
“Being part of the Community is a vocation of helping others,” explained Walter, Community editor from Buenos Aires. “I recommend Moovit to anyone looking for a travel app. We can all come together to make the data accurate.”
“When you are part of the community, you not only help yourself, but you make the daily commute of thousands of people smoother and easier,” said Konstantinos Arvanitakis, Community editor and University student in Ioaninna, Greece.
“Because of the feedback of the community, you know when there is a delay on a line even before the agency knows it,” explained Niggi, Community editor in Heidelberg, Germany. “It’s an awesome feeling to know that maybe I have helped somebody today by adding a line to the editor!”
Moovit’s Community continues to grow, and will soon reach 40,000 of editors. The editor platform will also soon be available to all Moovit users in the app . Thanks in part to the efforts of the Community, Moovit is available in over 800 cities in 60 countries worldwide.
The Moovit app has everything you need to travel on public transport the smartest, speediest and easiest way possible. By combining information from public transport operators and authorities with live information from the user community, Moovit offers travelers a real-time picture and the fastest and most comfortable routes. Moovit users can also send active reports about their travel experience, such as bus congestion levels, cleanliness, and more. The more people use Moovit, the more real-time information concerning buses and trains is distributed. Live information received from travelers offers all users improved route plans and more accurate estimates about arrival times.